This salad, actually a dip of shredded cabbage and tahini seasoned with ground cumin, is delicious with grilled fish steaks.
The tahini sauce should be made many hours in advance in order to have time to mellow, while the cabbage should be added at the last minute, so as not to lose its texture. To ensure crunchiness, soak the cabbage leaves in ice water for at least 2 hours before placing them in the creamy dressing.
- 1/2 small head white cabbage, finely shredded (3 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup sesame seed paste (tahini)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or, in season, lemon juice mixed with the juice of bitter orange
- Ground cumin
- Soak the cabbage in ice water 2 to 3 hours.
- Make a traditional tahini sauce: crush the garlic to a purée with the salt. In the workbowl of a food processor, blend the tahini with the lemon juice and crushed garlic until the mixture is white and tightens. Add 1/4 cup cold water and blend until smooth. Allow to mellow a few hours for the best flavor. Taste for salt and serve garnished with pinches of ground cumin.
- Just before serving, combine the cabbage and tahini and spread over grilled fish.
Serves 2 to 4.
With thanks to Nora George for sharing this recipe.
From “Mediterranean Grains and Greens” by Paula Wolfert