Teamed with pita bread triangles and a variety of raw vegetables, this Middle Eastern dip makes a great snack or hors d’oeuvre for a dinner party. Tahini is available at natural foods stores and some supermarkets.
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chick-peas), drained
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped drained roasted red peppers from jar
With processor running, drop garlic through feed tube and mince. Scrape down sides of work bowl. Add chick-peas, tahini and lemon juice; process until mixture is smooth. Add roasted peppers; process until peppers are finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer hummus to small bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Makes about 2 cups.
From “Bon Appétit” magazine, January 1994